According to The American College of Prosthodontists, 178 million American adults are missing at least one tooth and nearly 40 million have lost all of their natural teeth.
Losing an adult tooth can have a number of negative impacts on your oral health, diet, speech, and even your self-esteem. If you’re interested in a long-term solution for tooth loss that can improve your smile, consider dental implants. Here are five ways that dental implants can improve your overall quality of life:
- Retain tooth positioning – Teeth that surround a missing tooth slot will eventually shift into the opening and distort the shape of your smile and bite. Dental implants will fill in the gap and prevent your surrounding teeth from readjusting.
- Jawbone protection – Your teeth are naturally embedded into your jawbone, so when the tooth and root are missing, your jaw’s bone structure will start to deteriorate. Dental implants will preserve and strengthen the bone just like natural teeth.
- Look younger and healthier – After you lose teeth, the skin near the gap may begin to crease or droop. Bone loss in your jaw can lead to further damage and eventually create an unnaturally aged appearance. Dental implants will restore your facial support and preserve jaw bone structure.
- Improved speech – Gaps in your teeth often cause speech impediments that can get worse over time. With dental implants, you’ll be able to fill in those gaps and speak more naturally.
- Brighten your smile – Gaps in your teeth can make you feel embarrassed and affect your self image. That’s why dental implants are made to look natural and can restore the beauty of your smile. Studies show that having confidence in your smile can boost your self-esteem, making you a happier, healthier and more social person.
Contact our Naperville Periodontist office to learn more about the benefits of dental implant restoration, and we’ll help you schedule an appointment.